Manuscript Assessments $399 and up
• read manuscript and provide recommendations for improvement at the plot and story level
• check for the presence of the goal-motivation-conflict dynamic
• identify common big picture issues with pacing, conflict, voice, and character POV
• may involve flagging recurring grammar and word-choice errors
• may include document markups
• 3 to 5-page summary report
Substantive Editing starts at $.024 per word**
• improve upon key structural elements
• rewrite and reorganize the manuscript as needed at the chapter, scene, and paragraph level
• address and correct common story issues such as head hopping, pacing, conflict, and inconsistencies
• provide document markups as necessary
• improve overall flow and clarity
• includes a 10-page summary report
Style/Line Editing starts at $.019 per word
• improve overall style and clarity
• identify, correct, and make recommendations for addressing issues at the paragraph and sentence level
• identify and correct awkward phrasing and improve word choice
• improve dialogue
• highlight overused words and phrases and suggest alternatives
• tweak “show don’t tell”
• does not involve major plot and story edits
• includes copyediting
• includes a 3-page cover letter and style sheet
Copyediting starts at $.009 per word
• make corrections at the sentence level
• check for consistency issues with timelines, plot, and character
• address adherence to the Chicago Manual of Style and the author’s “house” style
• may result in significant document markups
• prepare the manuscript for proofreading and/or publication
• does not include plot or story edits
Proofreading starts at $.006 per word
• find and fix grammar, spelling errors, layout, and format issues
• make changes at the word level
Do you need more than one editing service? Do you need only a portion of your manuscript edited? Email me at grace(@)thewritersstation.com and let’s set up a time to talk.
*Actual rates are determined after a sample review has been conducted and may vary based on the submitted manuscript.
**Multiply your total word count by price-per-word to arrive at a total estimated price.
Click or tap here for more information on the various types of manuscript editing and how to know which one is right for you.
Email me today for information on how to get started with a sample edit. I’ll ask you some questions, have a look at a few pages of your manuscript, and help you determine the type of editing you’ll need. All edits are done electronically in Microsoft Word using editing and comment functions. For more information about editing services and rates, please email grace (@) thewritersstation.com.